Finding your dopamine button isn’t easy. Firstly, you may have heard of dopamine. But, do you know what it is and what it does to your body? Secondly, where do you find it, if you don’t know much about it? To save you an endless search, let’s look at dopamine in greater detail now. Then, you’ll know exactly where it is when you need it the most.
Finding Your Dopamine Button – What’s Dopamine?
Simply put, dopamine is a chemical known as a neurotransmitter. This chemical helps your body communicate with your brain. Thus, it’s a little like having strong mobile phone connectivity—interruption-free.
Dopamine helps your body to:
- Control movement.
- Assist the flow of information.
- Regulate your body’s stress response.
- Increase blood flow by widening your vessels.
- Improve kidney function.
- Maintain insulin production.
- Slow-down the digestion process.
- Lessen inflammation in your body.
What Happens If I Don’t Get Enough Dopamine?
Dopamine is the brain’s pleasure chemical. Consequently, some people describe a dopamine hit as a euphoric boost or stimulant that has a similar effect to eating, winning, earning money or drinking alcohol. But, if your body doesn’t get enough of this ‘feel good’ chemical then you can suffer from backaches, constipation, weight fluctuation, fatigue, difficulty sleeping, and depression.
Why Do Your Dopamine Levels Drop?
The main causes of low dopamine levels are lack of sleep, obesity, substance abuse, not eating a healthy diet and stress overload. Therefore, by living a balanced lifestyle you’ll avoid dopamine deficient conditions such as depressive disorders, schizophrenia, Parkinson’s disease. Plus, you’ll feel happier, more energetic and more motivated.
Finding Your Dopamine Button – Where’s Mine?
- Nuts – Almonds & Walnuts
- Dark Chocolate
Therefore, by eating dopamine rich foods you can find and hit your dopamine button to release those feel-good chemicals that regulate essential bodily functions. Exercise, listening to music and promoting gut health by taking probiotics also improve your dopamine levels.
Finding Your Dopamine Button Key Takeaways
By raising your awareness of dopamine and where you can find it naturally, you’re better able to maintain your health and live your life to the fullest.
Just to recap finding your dopamine button is:
- Knowing that dopamine is a chemical that maintains and regulates many functions of the body.
- Understanding that dopamine makes you feel good and better able to balance your lifestyle.
- Avoiding activities that promote low dopamine levels you can better manage your health.
- Eating dopamine rich foods to boost your dopamine levels.
- Exercising, listening to music, and taking probiotics to increase your dopamine.
Want to know more about living your best life?
Then drop the editor a line and suggest an article topic. InShape News would love to hear from you : )
For similar content delivered weekly to your inbox, subscribe to our feed. For daily updates on how to lead a happier, healthier lifestyle, follow us on social media: Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter.