Making summer body lifestyle choices are essential as the weather heats up. With the warmer weather comes greater responsibility. Eating well, getting adequate hydration and maintaining a suitable workout routine are three musts. So, if you haven’t started prepping yourself for the warmer months, and you want a leaner, fitter body for summer that’s healthy and able to go the distance then it’s time to familiarise yourself with how to make summer body lifestyle choices. These simple changes let you find time to build a better, stronger you well before you start showing more skin, and they let you handle the heat and added stress without too much difficulty. Let’s look at these now.
Summer Body Lifestyle Choices #1 Stay Active
Summer is a time for fun, family-time and relaxation. However, too much relaxtion and not enough activity can lead to weight gain, muscle loss, and a decreased metabolism. Therefore, staying active during the summer can keep your body in shape and better able to cope with the warmer conditions. Plus, you’ll look and feel great while you soak up the suns rays and enjoy the outdoors more.
HOT TIP – If your not sure how to fit in enough exercise, then consider what activities you enjoy. For instance, if swimming is your ultimate past time, then consider going to the local pool, beach or river. Hiking, cycling and walking are other easy to organise activities that don’t need much planning. All provide you with an excellent workout that doesn’t put too much strain on your joints or muscles.
Summer Body Lifestyle Choices #2 Stay Healthy
It’s easy to overlook your health in summer because your outdoors more and often and exposed to the elements. When you’re out and about you can overlook drinking enough water, and you may not eat as well as you would if you were at home. The temptation to eat more during the summer and spend less time exercising is high as you’re often enjoying the company of family and friends. Often foods that you eat are higher in calories and you’ll be tempted to consume more alcoholwhen in a social setting. These types of habits lead to dehydration, and a lack of fibre and adequate vitamins, minerals and nutrition, which can compromise your health.
HOT TIP – The key to staying healthy during summer is to balance your lifestyle. If you’re going to go out with family and friends and plan to drink alcohol and eat meals higher in calories, then make sure you:
- Drink a glass of water between alcoholic beverages.
- Have vegetables and fruit with your meals.
- Do not skip your regular meals or snacks.
Summer Body Lifestyle Choices #3 Plan Your Diet
Planning a summer diet will keep you on target to making the right summer body lifestyle choices. By taking time out to plan, prep and cook healthy meals you’ll free up more time so that when you’re busy with work, friends, and family your meals will be super nutritious.
HOT TIP – It’s important to take your personal goals into account when planning your summer diet. Include a variety of foods, from lean meats to a fresh cucumber and tomato salad, so that you enjoy the fresh tastes of summer throughout the season. Aim to get and stay in shape and to boost your health by making smarter choices about what you consume.
Summer Body Lifestyle Choices #4 Keep Motivated
Summer is the time of year when people start to lose motivation and find it difficult to stay active. The warmer days drain their enthusiasm and they feel lazy and lethargic. How can you beat this behaviour? Simple, try some motivation hacks to keep your enthusiasm at an all time high during summer.
Some of these motivation hacks include:
- Find your why to get out of bed in the morning. Going for a run, having a smoothie, walking your dog or enjoying the sunrise may be just a handful of motivators. Your why is all about YOU and what you’re passionate about, so get creative.
- Preplan your days on a calendar. Get inventive and plan your week and weekend in advance. This approach lets you keep on track, get more done and gives you a sense of achievement.
- Reward good behaviour. Treat yourself to doing an activity your passionate about for maintaining your health during summer. For instance, if you love swimming, then make this a reward after your 30-minute workout. It’s a great way to cool down and to soak up the summer vibe.
- Get creative with your workouts. Rather than doing the same workout you do daily, think about moving outdoors and using your garden, park or other open space to take advantage of the fantastic weather.
HOT TIP – Make these hacks easy-to-follow so they can be applied to your everyday life.
How To Make Summer Body Lifestyle Choices Key Takeaways
Your body is not the same as the next persons. You’re unique and your body’s requirements depend on your height, weight, age and gender. So, looking to follow the same healthy lifestyle as your friend, brother, or a celebrity won’t work for you. Consequentially, it’s important for you to consider your needs and to then plan around this — after all you know your body better than any one else.
Just to recap, making sumer body lifestyle choices includes:
- Staying active – keeping active over the warmer months lets you manage your weight, increase mobility and improve muscle tone.
- Staying healthy – offset any negative food and alcohol consumption with a positive substitute so you balance your diet. For instance, if you drink a glass of alcohol mkae your next drink a glass of water.
- Planning your diet – plan, prep and cook your meals in advance and then freeze these. Then when you’re in a hurry to get out the door during summer you can make sure that your nutrition is spot on.
- Keeping motivated – get creative and use a number of motivation hacks to boost your level of enthusiasm by using the outdoors to your advantage.
For similar content delivered weekly to your inbox, subscribe to our feed.