Living a healthier life need not be difficult or challenging. There are 3 ways to improve your health that you can use today. Let’s look at how you can get started.
Have you thought about improving your health? But when you looked into achieving this, you found it confusing and weren’t sure where to start. If so, then you are not the only one. This happens to a lot of people. Paul, for instance, thought he could lose 20 kilograms (44 pounds) in a matter of months. But when he changed his diet and started eating healthier foods, he found it extremely difficult to stay motivated.
“Surely”, you say, “There has to be a simpler way”. According to research, there are three ways to improve your health that are simple, effective steps towards a better life, and these are easy to follow. Let’s look at these now.
3 Ways To Improve Your Health #1 De-Stress
A great way to improve your health is to reduce your stress. High levels of stress over a long time can effect your health. Why? Well, the human body produces a hormone called cortisol when you’re put under stress. This hormone is naturally released from your adrenal glands and assists your body to:
- respond to stress or danger
- increase your body’s metabolism of glucose
- control your blood pressure, and
- reduce inflammation
And while your cortisol levels normally increase during times of stress, too much cortisol can lead to:
- weight gain, particularly around your abdomen and face
- thin and fragile skin that is slow to heal
- acne, and
- female facial hair and irregular menstrual periods
Plus, research suggests that too much stress can lead to mental health problems. As well as physical problems like heart disease, heart attack, type II diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, and stroke.
Simple Ways To Reduce Stress
So, relaxing more is a must. To relax you can select one of many methods. However, your choice needs to be enjoyable, take little thought and be short in duration. For instance, take 15 minutes out of your day to meditate, listen to soothing music, or go for a walk. Other activities may be longer like watching a favorite TV show, reading a book, or taking a long, hot shower. More stress relievers are doing your favorite hobby, and getting a massage.
Dealing with Stubborn Stress
Stress can sometimes become too much to handle. Here are a few helpful tips on how to cope:
- Take a Break: Step away from the source of stress and give yourself time to relax. Engage in activities that bring you peace and joy.
- Deep Breathing: Practice deep breathing exercises to calm your mind and relieve tension. Take slow, deep breaths in and out, focusing on each breath.
- Exercise: Physical activity releases endorphins, which help reduce stress. Find an exercise routine that suits you, such as walking, yoga, or dancing.
- Talk to Someone: Reach out to a trusted friend or family member and share your thoughts and feelings. Sometimes, expressing your concerns can provide relief and support.
- Mindfulness and Meditation: Incorporate mindfulness techniques into your daily routine. Meditating or practicing mindfulness exercises can help you stay present and manage stress.
- Self-Care: Prioritise self-care activities that promote your well-being. Engage in hobbies, pamper yourself, and make time for activities that nourish your mind, body, and spirit.
When To Seek Professional Help
Remember, it’s important to seek professional help if stress becomes overwhelming or starts affecting your daily life. When stress becomes too much for you to deal with and you need a little extra help, like Janet who woke up one morning crying and couldn’t stop her tears from flowing, or John who lost his confidence and couldn’t be around other people without feeling scared, then it’s time to reach out. When you feel this way asking for professional help and looking into a long-term solution for your stress, anxiety or ongoing mental health issues can put you back on the right path. This is when an intensive outpatient program for depression is the best solution, as it gives you some freedom while working towards your personal goals. Whether you’re trying to control substance abuse, or you’re battling a long history of anxiety or depression.
HINT – The choices for de-stressing are endless. Get creative and make de-stressing a priority daily. You’ll feel much healthier and enjoy life more if you do.
3 Ways To Improve Your Health #2 Reduce Your Salt Intake
If you want to get healthier, cut down on how much salt you eat. Consuming too much salt leads to high blood pressure, which can be dangerous. If you eat ready-made food, it may already have added salt, so adding more could harm your health. A good way to monitor your salt intake is to prepare and cook your own food. Take air fried shishito peppers, for example. Not only are the ingredients healthy, but the way they’re cooked is too.
If you are used to putting salt on your food, then it will take time for you to stop. One way to do this is to taste your food before adding salt. Think of yourself as a Master Chef. Taste before you add, to perfect your flavour.
HINT – If you’ve bene adding salt to your food for years out of habit, then try a different approach. Use garlic salt, dried onion, lemon juice or zest, and balsamic vinegar. These are healthier alternatives to salt that can add flavour.
3 Ways To Improve Your Health #3 Check Your Posture
We all spend a lot of time sitting looking at screens, whether this be a digital TV, mobile, iPad computer or in a vehicle. Sitting is an activity that most of us do for hours a day. Let’s face it, screens are everywhere, and while they are useful and a necessary for daily life, when we sit to view these, they hurt our posture. We sit in a right angled position far more than is good for our bodies.
Think about your posture now. Take a good look at how you’re sitting. Are you leaning forward? Do your feet touch the ground flat? If not, then consider buying some ergonomic furniture or doing a workout at your desk. This will help you straighten your posture.
HINT – If you sit for long periods daily, then take breaks. A 10-15 minute walk is ideal to straighten your posture and to strengthen and lengthen your muscles.
3 Ways To Improve Your Health Key Takeaways
Improving your health need not be complicated. Try making yourself more aware of your habits. Then look to make small changes gradually.
Just to recap, 3 ways to improve your health include:
- De-stress – the choices for de-stressing are endless. Get creative and make de-stressing a priority daily. You’ll feel much healthier and enjoy life more if you do.
- Reduce your salt intake – if you’ve bene adding salt to your food for years out of habit, then try a different approach. Use garlic salt, dried onion, lemon juice or zest, and balsamic vinegar. These are healthier alternatives to salt that can add flavour.
- Check your posture – if you sit for long periods daily, then take breaks. A 10-15 minute walk is ideal to straighten your posture and to strengthen and lengthen your muscles.
For similar content delivered weekly to your inbox, subscribe to our feed.