Travelling can be a life-changing as it can provides you with amazing memories and experiences that last a lifetime. However, many people find travelling erodes their health and fitness as they sit on long flights or buses or they eat too much. But, staying fit and healthy on vacation is possible with a little forethought and planning. Let’s look at how.
You can lose muscle mass or fall victim to low fitness levels due to a lack of exercise while you travel. This situation impacts your well-being while your away, and makes it difficult for you to regain fitness when you return home. As a result, moving more and eating healthy while you’re on vacation let’s you make good health and fitness choices an important aspect of your adventure.
Fortunately, figuring out how to stay fit while on vacation doesn’t have to be difficult. You can follow two simple steps to remain as active and healthy as possible–no matter where you’re situated.
Staying Fit and Healthy On Vacation #1 Eat A Healthy, Natural Diet With Native Produce
Eating a balanced diet maintains your physical fitness while you travel. Sure, it’s tempting to give in and indulge in many of the delicious (yet unhealthy) foods that you find when on vacation. For instance, freshly fried sugared delicacies and greasy culinary deligths piled high with high calorie temptations might look tempting but they can have a negative impact on your health.
Unhealthy Eating Impact
Sure eating nothing but fast food and processed junk while you’re on vacation might seem like a way to break free of healthy habits and to kick up your heels momentarily. But, this behaviour won’t feed your body and mind with the vitamins and minerals that they need to thrive. You will soon fall victim to energy crashes from excessive sugar, and fatigue from high carbohydrate dishes. You’re also likely to gain weight if you continually consume unhealthy foods while on vacation.
How To Eat Healthy On Vacation
This diet approach can leave you feeling bloated, lethargic and can even result in illness. However, you can sample the local cuisine and be mindful of eating a balanced diet by:
- Select fresh produce – maintain a healthy diet by going to local markets and selecting fresh fruit and vegetables to eat daily. This stratetgy maintains your vitamin, mineral and fibre levels.
- Try sample foods – rather than eating a full meal that’s laden with sugar, fat and all of those not-so-good nutrients, opt for a smaller entree or sample dish.
- Share with friends – if you’re travelling with friends or family, then share a dish. This way you get to try a dish that’s not so healthy, but you won’t overload your system with unhealthy nsugars, fats and carboyhydrates.
- Have a cheat day – make one day your on vacation the day that you don’t eat as healthy as you usually would. You can then try as much food as you like on this day and return to you healthy, balanced eating the next day.
- Plan ahead – if you know you’re going on vacaction, do your research and find healthy eating options before you go so that you can have an itenerary of where to eat.
When you get the chance to travel, you have the opportunity to try out lots of different fruits, vegetables. Many of these healthy items that you won’t be available at home. There are so many native produce varieties to eat whenever you jet to a new location. For instance, the delicious Vesuvio tomatoes in Naples or a glass of glorious English apple juice. The more healthy, fresh and natural food you can eat while travelling, the better your chances are of staying fit and well throughout your adventure. So, don’t be afraid to explore your options. Travelling is all about exploration and pushing yourself out of your comfort zone.
Staying Fit and Healthy On Vacation #2 Don’t Ignore The Need For Daily Exercise
Sure, you may not want to workout while you’re on vacation. Instead you may want to relax and enjoy your surrounds without the everyday pressures of life. However, it’s vital that you take the time to exercise while you travel to maintain your stamina and energy. After all, you’ve got a lot to see in a short time frame. So, you don’t want to let your guard down and get sick.
How To Keep Fit On Vacation
If you want to maintain your physical fitness while on vacation then:
- Plan to do one physical activity daily – find an activity that gets you out and about. Try walking, hiking, bike riding, opr paddle boarding. Swimming or wandering through museums and other cultrual attractions are great ways to get you moving. These outings often don’t even feel like exercise.
- Go for a walk at a set time every day – make a set time daily to go for a walk. This ritual lets you explore the local area. You also get to take in the view, talke to people and experience the cultural atmosphere first-hand.
- Do a short resistence workout in your accomodation daily – use the furniture in your accomodation to workout. Arm chairs are great for dips. Push-ups can be done on a bedroom floor. Squats, lunges, and other mobility exercises are able to get carried out in kitchens. Moving more is a great way to prepare yourself for your day and it keeps you feeling alive and ready to get into your day.
Thankfully there many amazing opportunities to exercise. You can explore whenever you’re travelling, no matter where in the world you may be. For example, rather than just sitting by the pool or lounging by the ocean, why not dive straight in? Swimming is a great exercise that will work your whole body. It boosts the health of your lungs and heart. Plus, it can be so much fun splashing around in the water with your pals or family.
Another brilliant idea you can likely get involved in is hiking or walking. You can hike on an established trail. Go off-road if you want some more challenging terrain–just make sure you don’t forget to bring a map. You don’t need to stop exercising just because you’re visiting an inner city location either. There there are so many active things to do in San Diego or London that can get you up and moving despite the lack of natural space to utilise.
Staying Fit and Healthy On Vacation Key Takeaways
Staying fit and healthy on vacation has never been so easy. Be sure to eat well, and don’t forget to stay active.
Just to recap, staying fit and healthy on vacation can be achieved in two simple steps:
- Eat a healthy, natural diet laden with native produce. Eating well the mojority of the time you’re away. This approach will ensure that you keep your vitamin, mineral and fibre uptake adequate. This appraoch ensures you maintain optimal health and have the energy to enjoy your travels without illness.
- Don’t ignore the need for daily exercise. Plan to do a brief walk at a set time each day. Then if you don’t get the chance to get out and about because you’ve decided to soak up cultural displays you know that you’ve moved enough to keep yourself healthy.
For similar content delivered weekly to your inbox, subscribe to our feed.